[Image-SIG] Workarounds for MemoryErrors

B. Bogart ben at ekran.org
Mon Jun 22 18:52:13 CEST 2009

Hello all,

I want to create a very large RGBA image (96000x72000 pixels).

I have 4GB of RAM.

Is there an easy way of getting around this error by having PIL only
allocate one section of the image at a time?

If PIL does not have any internal trick to work with large images then
I'll have to make 4+ smaller images one at a time, but then I'm not sure
how I could combine them without needing to allocate a memory chunk for
the whole image.

Otherwise I suppose I'll have to try with some other language, perhaps
C/SDL, though a quick calculation seems to show that such a large RGBA
image is just unworkable. Is there some way of using disk space rather
than memory? Does not matter if it is slow, just that it is possible!

Any advice?

Thanks,
B.