[Image-SIG] manipulating image for counting microbial cells

Chuck Pepe-Ranney cpepera at mines.edu
Mon Sep 21 23:28:04 CEST 2009

Hello,
I am wondering if I can use PIL to manipulate some fluorescent microscopy
images.  Specifically, I will have two images of the same field but each
will be taken under different emission filters.  What I need to do is loop
through the pixels in the first image multiply each pixel's intensity by a
factor then divide it by the intensity of the spatially corresponding pixel
in the second image.  There are more steps to follow but they are seemingly
routine image manipulation tasks.  The images will be in tiff format.  Would
PIL be a suitable solution to this problem?
Thanks for the help in advance,
- Chuck