[Image-SIG] How to quickly read a Z-axis cut of a multipage TIFF images?

Sebastian Haase seb.haase at gmail.com
Mon Apr 12 21:10:33 CEST 2010

Joao,

could you (shortly) outline what kind of  functions you could benefit
from using libtiff directly, rather than PIL (which uses raw python
for this, as
I understand).
Maybe you even show us a short example.
Another reason why I ask, is that I read that libtiff has functions
using memory mapping. So far, I have considered TIF a rather
inappropriate format for large (multi-dimensional) data because it's
not compatible to the mem-map operations I can do using numpy. (i.e. I
always have to read everything  sequentially from the start)

Thanks,
Sebastian Haase