[Import-sig] Kick-off

Gordon McMillan gmcm@hypernet.com
Thu, 3 Feb 2000 08:41:29 -0500

I guess the first order of business is to establish some
objectives. I see two goals (my version of what happend at dev-
day):

Short-term: Provide a "new architecture import hooks" module
for the standard library. This would deprecate ihooks and
friends, and provide developers with a way of learning the new
architecture.

Long-term: Reform the entire import architecture of Python.
This affects Python start-up, the semantics of sys.path, and
the C API to importing.

The model for this is, of course, Greg's imputil.py (Greg, your
latest version is not yet on your website which still has a
November version).

If this seems like a reasonable statement, I'll massage and
expand it into the import SIG's homepage. I'll also try to
produce legible downloads of the handouts I passed out at the
dev day session.

- Gordon