[Inpycon] MSRIT as Venue

Noufal Ibrahim noufal at gmail.com
Thu May 6 08:02:51 CEST 2010

On Thu, May 6, 2010 at 9:38 AM, Anand Balachandran Pillai
<abpillai at gmail.com> wrote:
[..]
>  I don't think the conference is aimed at lazy souls and fence sitters who
> plan
> to attend only if it is packaged and brought close to their homes. Anyway
> this
> entire thinking doesn't make sense because people who are interested in
> conferences travel hundreds of miles from their place to attend. What is the
> problem for a local guy to travel an additional few kms then ?

Fence sitters and lazy people are best avoided. If there's a guarantee
that holding a conference in college X would prevent such people from
coming, I'd +1 that suggestion.

There is however another issue. Once people are inside the city,
commuting and getting buses is something we have to consider. I'm sure
all of us would be pretty opposed to a conference near the new airport
if we got a venue there.

So, the location point is not entirely baseless.

I'm still a little little undecided and while there have been good
points raised, nothing is, as far as I can see, conclusive enough to
decide.

I spoke to Sri today morning and he's generally favouring MSRIT
because of the location. I know from my road trips to Kerala that RV
is a little far.
However, The Baiju-Renuka Prasad connection is extremely valuable.
Renuka Prasad called me today morning and they're equally enthusiastic
about holding the event there if not more so.

>  Discussion among such lines are unproductive at best. We have a strong
>  incentive to conduct it in Engg. colleges as opposed to other places
> because
>  a wide audience for the conference is already ready to be picked right
> there.

MSRIT and RV are both technical institutions aren't they? I think
there will be plenty of students from either place.

--
~noufal