[Inpycon] Venue decision

Navin Kabra navin at smriti.com
Sat Feb 12 05:44:11 CET 2011

On Fri, Feb 11, 2011 at 6:41 PM, Dhananjay Nene <dhananjay.nene at gmail.com>wrote:

> 2. venue - I find in bigger cities (I am mainly talking of metros - but
>> Pune apparently approaches that) colleges are very hoity toity about
>> cooperating. There again the Pune team needs to enlighten us on this.
>>
>> I have requested Navin to respond - he really has much better experiences
> and insights than what I could hope to contribute as a response.

Basically, we have both kinds of colleges in Pune. Pune has a *very* large
number of colleges and in the suggested venues, we have chosen only those
where we felt we have enough connections at the student/faculty/management
level to be able to get good support (except for a couple of exceptions
mentioned below).

So, specifically:

1. SICSR will give a very high level of support at all levels.
2. In case of PICT, or Bharati Vidyapeeth, or COEP, or the Lavale Symbiosis
venue, we have good enough connections to be able to say that we'll get good
support from mgmt/faculty/students.
3. For the SIMC and Symbiosis Vishwabhavan, I've already mentioned lack of
support from faculty/students as a disadvantage.

But, I don't see the above as a problem.

To answer the question differently - we've had lots of large (i.e. 500+
people) tech conferences in Pune in various venues (including non-college
venues like Persistent Systems, and non-tech-college venues like SDLC (i.e.
colleges that have no interest in the conference), and we've never faced a
lack of volunteers. There are so many students in so many colleges in Pune
who are willing to come to the venue and help out, that even if we have a
venue with just management support and a couple of liaison people, it hasn't
been a problem in the past. I'm talking about conferences like Proto.in (in
Persistent), PHPCamp.net (500 to 1000 people, last 3 years, in non-tech
colleges like SDLC)...