[Inpycon] Carl and pyvideo.org for Pycon-India-2013?

Vid svaksha at gmail.com
Thu Nov 22 19:03:16 CET 2012

On Thu, Nov 22, 2012 at 12:10 PM, me kracekumar <me at kracekumar.com> wrote:
> Please keep in mind this year we ran short of volunteers and time.

I know how hard it is to find volunteers :)

> I work at HasGeek and we helped in shooting Pycon video. After processing

Ah, I didnt know HasGeek had the contract this year. Was under the
impression it was outsourced to the company that did it in 2010.

> It takes one month process videos + insert slides to make good talk, without
> slides + video + voice sync the videos are terrible. That one has to edit
> the video + insert the appropriate slides. As a result person who is
> processing the video  needs to watch all the video. Manpower ?
>
> Have a look at the videos: http://youtube.com/user/hasgeek
>
> For all HasGeek conference we have a 8GB machine with Video card + other
> special software which does live streaming which takes care of syncing
> slides + audio + video . This is also prone to failure since there are
> moving parts like projector connection, speaker laptop connection, video
> camera connection, sound mixer connection, wireless receiver.
>
> Apart from this first timers who handle the equipments will face a lot of
> difficulties. It needs quite a lot of training.
> So volunteers need to trained up front.

Correct me if I am wrong but I think the crucial difference lies in
the equipment being used as I spoke to a volunteer on Carl's team, who
mentioned they did live editing - saw some of the equipment and from
Carl's site, http://nextdayvideo.com/,

    Editing takes place as the talk is going on. This means the editor
is in the room, watching the talk and everything going on. This gives
them an advantage over someone who only has the raw footage to work
with.
    Once the talk is over, a significant amount of work has already
been completed.
    The post production is not labor intensive. We make sure the video
starts and ends at the right place, maybe remove large blocks of dead
air. The titling, encoding and upload is done with automated workflow
software we wrote.
The gets a great quality video ready for viewing in a minimal amount of time.
</quote>

Although she offered to to train me in less than 2 hours at pycon, I
could not sign up as I had signed up to be a runner....but, next time!
Setting aside the bandwidth issue, it does seem you (HG) are stuck
with the post-processing (very time-consuming, by which time the next
event crops up and its a never-ending cycle) so I see a difference in
process and am trying to understand if that step can be eliminated.
Equipment can be very expensive, and I dont know if all the funky
equipment they use will be available for hire in India, nor how much
it will cost, etc.. but I thought it would be nice if we can learn how
they do it, so if there is any interest, Carl can help out.

> It nice that Carl wants to help us. But please keep in mind every venue is
> different and will give a lot of problems. So you need to do real testing of
> the entire setup, before a day and we need volunteers to operate camera.

The link I sent earlier mentions all that and more of what they do.

Vid  ॥ http://svaksha.com