[Inpycon] Carl and pyvideo.org for Pycon-India-2013?

me kracekumar me at kracekumar.com
Thu Nov 22 18:10:08 CET 2012

I am one of the person who operated camera for Pycon India 2012 and
processed 2 set of videos(out of 3) and uploaded few of the videos.

I have seen the site and I often watch Pycon US and Europe videos.

Please keep in mind this year we ran short of volunteers and time.

On Thu, Nov 22, 2012 at 9:30 PM, Vid <svaksha at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello Folks,
>
> I could not attend Pycon-IN this year but did check out the videos on
> Youtube and didnt find too many of them for 2012 - was there a
> different tag or are they being hosted elsewhere?
>
> I have processed 2/3 sets o video. So far video size is few hundred GB.

Why hasn't this been uploaded ?

I work at HasGeek and we helped in shooting Pycon video. After processing
these video, I have no bandwidth in company to upload the video since we
are working on our JsFoo & DroidCon video.

I would love to upload all these videos from my home internet unfortunately
I use Reliance Netconnect with 10GB cap,
so I have no option to upload video. If some one has very high speed
internet/ Unlimited connection please help us out.

Fwiw, I was talking to Carl Karsten, the unofficially official A/V
> master for all things PyCon. So far, has done videos for: PyCon DE
> 2012, and 11, DjangoCon 2009,10,11, PyOhio 2009,10,11 , SciPy 2012,
> PyCon US 2012 and, 08, 09,10,11, PyGotham 2011, PyTexas 2011 and I was
> blown away by the recording quality.
>
> I would like to see Pycon-India talks have the same quality that you
> see listed on http://pyvideo.org/, so I asked if he would be
> interested in visiting India and helping us out in 2013 and he is
> interested, but here are some things we need to consider:
>
> 1. Travel costs - Chicago to Bangalore (Can someone confirm if
> Pycon-IN 2013 will be held in BLR?) flight cost for him and his
> colleague.
> 2. He needs volunteers to work with him during the conference (which
> is how he keeps costs down).
> Here are some links from their discussions on the pyconca list below:
> <https://groups.google.com/forum/#!msg/pyconca/bJ3ez_ni0zE/nu240JWWrUoJ>
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msg/pyconca/dxNCKpMMWM4/E8A5MNXc6dEJ>
> <https://github.com/codersquid/veyepar/wiki/conference-recording-thoughts>

It takes one month process videos + insert slides to make good talk,
without slides + video + voice sync the videos are terrible. That one has
to edit the video + insert the appropriate slides. As a result person who
is processing the video  needs to watch all the video. Manpower ?

Have a look at the videos: http://youtube.com/user/hasgeek

For all HasGeek conference we have a 8GB machine with Video card + other
special software which does live streaming which takes care of syncing
slides + audio + video . This is also prone to failure since there are
moving parts like projector connection, speaker laptop connection, video
camera connection, sound mixer connection, wireless receiver.

Apart from this first timers who handle the equipments will face a lot of
difficulties. It needs quite a lot of training.
So volunteers need to trained up front.

For those who think its too early to decide for 2013, do remember that
> he has quite a busy schedule. Also, I'd like to ask Carl to follow the
> discussion online, and earlier the list was private, so I am CC'ing
> him.

It nice that Carl wants to help us. But please keep in mind every venue is
different and will give a lot of problems. So you need to do real testing
of the entire setup, before a day and we need volunteers to operate camera.

Thoughts?