[Inpycon] Everybody Pays Policy

atul jha koolhead17 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 26 08:38:40 CEST 2013

Hi,

On Thu, Sep 26, 2013 at 11:54 AM, Noufal Ibrahim <noufal at nibrahim.net.in>wrote:

> atul jha <koolhead17 at gmail.com> writes:
>

> [...]
>

> > Well then simply make it more welcoming & if a speaker or volunteers
> > wants to pay for ticket let them do it else make it free for
> > others. Why wasting so much time on this?
>
> First of all, it's not "wasting" time. It's something that's undecided
> and which has become a topic of discussion. Secondly, it's a matter of
> policy. People ask questions and there needs to be something that's
> previously discussed, agreed upon and published that you can simply
> point to rather than handle individual queries.

Pycon is a community event not a event for profit.
Don`t blindly follow policies of other country things work differently here.

> There are always freeloaders who carry a box from the door to a room and
> then ask for a volunteer badge just to avoid paying a ticket. There are
> also volunteers (like most of the serious ones) who actually bought a
> ticket.
>
> Are you saying to be a serious volunteer you need to pay for entry ticket?

Its organizers responsibility to not select freeloaders.

There are also other issues like speakers not being announced till late
> in the day season when the early bird tickets are sold out. If they wait
> till then, they will have to pay full price if their talks are not
> selected.
>
> How difficult is it to pay cheques to speakers in that case?

> [...]
>
> > Well this is something different from entry ticket, the scholarship
> > should not be restricted to speakers & volunteer students.
>
> I'm still not sure about who the "scholarship" (for want of a better
> term) should be applicable to. I'm not sure if it should be applicable
> for everyone. I'm also reasonably sure, though, that students,
> especially outstation ones, should be given priority over the others.
>
> And i doubt it will work out.

> > Both the things are separate and needs to be addressed in specific
> > way.
>
> I think I see your point. Correct me if I'm wrong but You're proposing
> waiving the ticket fee for speakers and volunteers as a sign of
> friendliness rather than financial assistance. I never thought of it
> that way.
>
> Well you yourself said money is not the reason for charging.
Friendliness is one of the things including 100 others.

--
Atul

www.atuljha.com

irc(freenode) : koolhead17