[Inpycon] PythonExpress Partnership

Noufal Ibrahim noufal at nibrahim.net.in
Thu Oct 20 07:21:02 EDT 2016

On , Anand Chitipothu wrote:
[..]
> We are good at doing Python, not fund raising. Raising funds is not an
> easy task. Wikipedia will have a team of people working only fund
> raising. I think it is easier for PSSI to seek sponsorships instead of
> fund raising.

+1. A friend recently got a project of his funded on indiegogo. The
amount of trouble
he took to get the thing done was enormous. It's very *very* hard to get
crowdfunding.

> Here is something that might work. Apply for PSF grant for running 100
> workshops to start with.
>
> Assuming there'll be 50 participants in each workshop, that would be
> covering 5000 people. If we pay honorarium of Rs. 2000/- to every
> workshop instructor and let them manage their travel expenses, that
> would cost about Rs. 2 lakh, about $3000.
>
> I'm sure PSF would be more than happy to sponsor $3000 for teaching
> Python to 5000 people, at a cost of 60 cents per person (their limit
> is $25).

The numbers look good here but I don't know the details of getting the
money from the PSF. On a related note, does the PSSI not have enough
leftover from the conference and memberships to atleast partially fund
PythonExpress?

> That would take care of the expenses for the short run. We can ask the
> colleges benefiting from these workshops to donate to PSSI to continue
> run Python Express. I'm sure at least some of them will come back.

Possibly.

> The next thing that would might be helpful is to try getting some
> government to sponsor. I know it is hard, but we can check with out
> friends at FOSSEE and see if something can be worked out.

This might be a better long term solution.