[Inpycon] Feedback - Pycon India 2017

Noufal Ibrahim KV noufal at nibrahim.net.in
Mon Nov 6 09:18:06 EST 2017

On Mon, Nov 06 2017, Peeyush Aggarwal wrote:

Good list. I personally felt that the top floors were too high to be
generally accessible. I didn't go there even once because the lifts were
not always available.

[...]

> 1. Misc
>   1.1 Time Adherence to the schedule was weak.
>   1.2 Need coherence in timing of various tracks.
>   1.3 Documented Guidelines for talks proposal.
>   1.4 Consider the schedule for dev sprints before/after the schedule
> rather than along it.
>   1.5 Consider goodies to people who didn't turn up.
>   1.6 Slides are a bottleneck in talk selection. Consider new methods (like
> interview). Jaidev suggests involvement of local communities.

The interviews and things like that are invaluable. I can't really speak
authoritatively about this since I was one of the talk reviewers but
didn't contribute a thing. :(

The CFP/talk selection should be a completely separate more or less
independent group that just needs to agree on dates with the main
team. Then, I think, they can start the process much earlier. e.g. The
CFP for the US PyCon has been announced and the conference is in May
2018.

>   1.7 Rooms were too far away. Consider venue with better proximity of
> multiple halls.
>   1.8 Halting passage of halls near speakers to avoid distractions.
>   1.9 Place to sit while eating.

I'd have liked this too.

>   1.10 Lucky draw of lightning talks was not appropriate.

I'd prefer a first come, first serve with a lucky draw to break ties.

> 2. Audio/Video
>   2.1 Technical check ups prior to talk/workshop.

Yeah. I actually came to the venue the previous night and spent a while
fixing up my resolutions and things. I kept my laptop exactly like that
so that I could just plug it in the next day but something had changed,
the resolutions were wrong and not working and I finally delivered my
talk with my laptop screen turned off.

Also, they had some issue recording with the resolution I was putting
out and in between he handed me his own laptop and suggested I use
that.

This was a bit of a drag.

[...]

--