[Inpycon] Is PyCon India "really open"?

Vanitha Shanmugam vani.pree at gmail.com
Sun Jan 14 03:53:24 EST 2018

Hi Anuvrat,

On 14 January 2018 at 06:54, Anuvrat Parashar <anuvrat at anuvrat.in> wrote:

> On Sat, Jan 13, 2018 at 11:31 PM, Vanitha Shanmugam <vani.pree at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi All,
>>
>> Sorry for top posting and also for the late response. Just wanted to
>> share some data.
>>
>> PyCon India is a volunteer driven event and every contribution is a step
>> towards its success however big or small it is and I appreciate
>> realslimshanky's contribution.
>>
>> IMO, the issue is more of less to do with the communication. Nobody here
>> is against any contribution. Lets just be clear that we all are working for
>> PyCon India in whatever way we can and none has any intention of
>> discouraging or stopping any from doing so.
>>
>> A few stats below.
>> We, PyCon India volunteers plan publishing date for every blog in the
>> volunteers meeting as it has to go along with website update and other
>> things depending on the blog content. Minutes are shared in the mailing
>> list for all meetings conducted so far this year.
>>
>> Earlier realslimshanky had merged 2 PRs ([0] and [1]) without keeping any
>> updated on the same. The blog [0] went live when we setup PyCon India 2018
>> website with basic content as the master branch was updated for this. Since
>> this went live well before our planned date unexpectedly when the other
>> required updates were not available on our website, it created chaos as
>> even the core volunteers were not aware of this PR merge.
>>

> That is not what sparked the debate. There is a higher standard expected
> from people who have built the community.
>
> If blogs are getting updated because a pull request was merged, thats a
> flaw in our process, of not having blogs flagged to be in draft mode.
> Blaming realslimshanky for our shortcomings does not project a good image
> of the community.

Just to make it clear, I did not blame any. In fact, we did not even
communicate it to realslimshanky on the chaos the merge was created since
it was the early stage. I agree there are ways to handle this. Still it is
always a good practice to wait for at least a couple of reviews and
approves before merging considering the pace we work with PyCon India
website.

>> That was the reason Vijay suggested him not to merge without having
>> complete info. His intention was not to discourage him from contributing
>> but to do it the right way with proper communication. We are just an email
>> away and it hardly takes a minute to pass on the info and keep everyone
>> updated. I agree that Vijay could have communicated that in a better way
>> and as he mentioned in one of the emails, we will make sure such things
>> will not be repeated.
>>

> Sadly despite the community's decision, he is speaking through you. Is he
> too proud to apologise?

What makes you think that someone else was speaking through me? You think I
cannot write a mail on my own or do not have rights to clarify things here?
I request you to not assume things, respect my opinions and not infer
things on your own.

> Does he want the community to grow, or does he want the community to grow
> acknowledging him as its infallible overlord who can never commit any
> mistake.

Vijay is part of this community and has helped grow this community as well.
I don't think anybody will deny that. He accepted that it was his mistake
to communicate the way he did. But all you want is a formal apology and no
other words can match that.

> People like you and me would never have stayed in the community to have
> this debate had someone kicked us in this way when we were just trying to
> find our starting ground.
>

>> Let us all keep this aside and work together to make PyCon India better;
>> after all, that is our goal.
>>

> There wouldn't be any PyCon India for long if there is no next generation
> to take the baton.
> And if we shoo away valued members like Shashank with these curt remarks,
> we will lose our valued members.

Just to reiterate, nobody was shooed away. It was just a mis-communication.
In all this discussion its PyCon India which is getting impacted.

Thanks,
Vanitha