[Inpycon] PyCon India 2019 Proposal v1

Anand Chitipothu anandology at gmail.com
Fri Feb 8 20:29:13 EST 2019

On Sat, Feb 9, 2019 at 12:20 AM Vijay Kumar <vijaykumar at bravegnu.org> wrote:

> Hi Everyone,
>
> Thanks for all the support! Based on the responses received so far, we
> are taking the conference forward, with Chennai as the venue. A first
> cut proposal containing the details of the venue, overall schedule, and
> the workgroups is provided below. A more detailed proposal with venue
> costs, and the ticket costs worked out will be provided by Tuesday.
> Please send in your feedback and suggestions.

Wonderful. Please find my comments inline below.

> = PyCon India 2019 Proposal
>
> [...]
> === Day 1: Workshops
>
> Day 1 will consist of 8 workshop slots, 3 hours each, with 4 parallel
> tracks in the following halls.
>
>      * Hall A
>      * Hall B
>      * Side Lobby
>      * Meeting Room A

Why do you need a room with 1000-people capacity for a workshop of 30-40
participants? Can't we do something better.

One option that can be tried and I tried to suggest it last year as well
was to run the workshops in parallel with the conference. I've seen it in
couple of conferences and it works wonderfully. You can dedicate 2 rooms
with about 100 capacity for the workshops and have 2 workshops per day in
each room. We can even add a room on two to have even more workshops. That
also gives us chance to convert the conference into 3-day conference
without any additional budget.

=== Day 2 & 3: Conference

> The schedule for day 2 & 3, is provided below
>
>      * Keynote in Hall A
>      * 3 parallel talk tracks in Hall A, B and Side Lobby, and
>        Openspace in Meeting Room A
>      * Lunch
>      * Lightning Talks in Hall A and Poster Session in Hall B
>      * 3 parallel talk tracks
>      * Keynote in Hall A

2 rooms with 1000 capacity and another with 200 looks a bit odd. Wouldn't
it be possible to split the second hall into 600 and 400? That way you have
3 tracks and use the smaller rooms for other things?

> === Day 4: Devsprint
>
> Devsprint in Hall A, available from 9:00 AM to 9:00 PM.

Is the plan to setup multiple teams as clusters in the same hall?