[IPython-dev] What readline features do people use?

Gary Bishop gb at cs.unc.edu
Fri May 23 17:02:21 EDT 2003

I've got a Python implementation of GNU readline that seems to make
IPython happy. It does filename and set_completer style completion, has
most of Emacs mode, and generally feels to me like I think IPython should.

But GNU readline is an incredibly feature-full beast. I believe all of
it *could* be implemented in my framework. But it will likely be more
work than I'm willing/able to do.

For example "vi" mode. It can be done, but I don't need it.
Multi-character bindings. Conditionals in init files, lots of
options... There is a ton of stuff I just don't use.

Perhaps I should release something and see what people holler about?

gb