[IPython-dev] minor ipython.el news

Alexander Schmolck a.schmolck at gmx.net
Thu May 6 14:26:26 EDT 2004

Fernando Perez <Fernando.Perez at colorado.edu> writes:

> Should I then NOT include the python-mode from SF?

I think you shouldn't -- that was what I was talking about in my last email:
the CVS version of SF python-mode.el has not worked properly with my patch for
some time now (since my original patch hadn't been applied I wanted to submit
a new one, but then I fell ill for a few weeks -- now I'm fine again but short
of time).

> Should I go back to the python-mode I had before, or do you have the patched
> one around? I just tried ipython.el with the SF python-mode and don't see
> any problems, but perhaps I haven't quite exercised the problem areas.

Do you mean SF's python-mode.el with my patch applied? I'd be pretty suprised
if it looked liked it worked *without* the patch, I don't think executing
regions/buffers etc should work (python-mode.el for some reason has the python
prompt hardcoded in several places; my patch replaces that mess with pattern a
user-definable regexp; I just downloaded and checked that this still is the
case).

I think it most things will work with the patched-SF-python-mode.el (I haven't
tried the latest download release, though) apart from jumping around between
exception locations (py-up-exception etc.) -- which happens to be incredibly
handy.

If you are already using the (patched) new python-mode you could just try and
see if C- - does something useful after you've got a traceback; I'd guess it
won't -- but if it did all we would have to do is to bug the python-mode
developers to incorporate my existing patch.

If someone is really terribly bothered by the fact that they can't use the
latest python-mode.el with ipython.el than they can either try

A) convincing the current maintainers of python-mode.el to incorporate a patch
   that makes qpython-mode.el ipython-compatible (and presumably a bit
   cleaner), should someone provide it and

B) either try to adapt my patch or get me to do it (pointing out some
   wonderful feature of the new python-mode.el would help)

As I said, I'm rather busy but if there is enough demand and I don't end up
with another patch that slowly settles mould because it doesn't get
incorporated I might be persuaded to have one more go.

> Plase let me know what I should do on this one so that users who grab the
> ipython-emacs-XXX.tgz file from the ipython website don't need to putz
> around any further. I'm afraid now I may have broken things a bit.

I'll attach the version of python-mode.el I'm currently using, which is based
on pre-SF python-mode in case you've misplaced your old versions.