[IPython-dev] Notebook roadmap

Fernando Perez Fernando.Perez at colorado.edu
Tue Jul 5 17:55:01 EDT 2005

Robert Kern wrote:
> Fernando and I hashed out a few things on the phone today. Short
> version: XML wins for now, even if I had to threaten to kidnap
> Fernando's cat to do it. Long version:
>
>    http://www.scipy.org/wikis/featurerequests/NoteBook

Many thanks for this, Robert.  For those who didn't click on the link, Robert
has joined in as co-mentor at my pestering.  I'm super grateful to him for
that, and it will be very useful to have two of us available on this.

And besides the threats on Ilona (our lovely Russian blue), Robert's arguments
for XML were quite good, esp. in light of how ElementTree serves to placate
the gag reflex that all programmers with good taste have when confronted with XML.

> There's a page there for adding user stories. I've already added the
> ones Hans has posted and some of my own. If you would like to add your
> own stories (aka "feature requests"), please make yourself an account
> and edit the Wiki to your liking.
>
> Documentation on the XML format and API will be forthcoming. Hopefully,
> we will have SVN space by Tuesday or Wednesday.

Yes, the scipy admin is in the process of adding the necessary infrastructure.
  I can already log in, but can't create users yet.  This should be
operational within a day or two, and I'll make an SVN repo for this, where
Toni and Tzanko can keep their respective codes.  IPython itself will also
live in SVN soon, so when Tzanko needs to directly patch ipython, he will be
able to work there as well.

Robert, is your code available anywhere?  This could be used as a starter by
Toni on the document work, as well as providing Tzanko a mockup target to load.