[IPython-dev] ipython1 / python 2.3

Fernando Perez fperez.net at gmail.com
Tue Mar 27 01:48:52 EDT 2007

On 3/26/07, Dan Milstein <danmil at comcast.net> wrote:
> Just an FYI -- ipython1 doesn't run on python 2.3.

Yup.

> Should it?

Well, we've more or less settled on using 2.4 for it.  I know Brian is
making more and more use of decorators for a number of things that are
making his life easier, so it's quite likely that 2.4 will remain a
'hard' requirement.  I guess if there's major demand for 2.3 support
we could look into it, since decorators are in the end 'just'
syntactic sugar.  But it's quite possible that the amount of retrofit
work needed becomes too much, in the face of already thinly-spread
developer resources.

There's the additional issue of testing: ubuntu Edgy doesn't even
/have/ an out of the box 2.3 python supplied, which for me would mean
building a separate 2.3 and surrounding support libraries by hand.
Doing so is trivial, but it's another time slot that I simply may not
have.  When deciding on where to spend some dev time, between working
on the code itself and doing 2.3 build work, I'm *very* likely to
ditch the 2.3 support.

Basically right now the situation is just one of developer resources:
I'd be happy supporting 2.3, but it's not likely to come from me.

For ipython trunk, we DO keep 2.3 as a supported version, and that
will continue to be true for 0.7.4 and a possible release after that.