[IPython-dev] No release this weekend, & UsageError

Fernando Perez fperez.net at gmail.com
Sat Sep 8 21:17:42 EDT 2007

On 9/8/07, Ville M. Vainio <vivainio at gmail.com> wrote:

> > In a macro/batch file execution this would interrupt the execution,
> > but they still won't warrant showing the full traceback to the user in
> > interactive session (this is when just showing the error string is
> > enough).
>
> So here's what it looks like now (in svn):
>
> [Q:/ipython]|37> pushd
>             <37> ['Q:\\ipython']
> [Q:/ipython]|38> cd /
> [Q:/]|39> popd
> popd -> Q:\ipython
> [Q:/ipython]|40> popd
> UsageError: %popd on empty stack
> [Q:/ipython]|41>
>
> I'm not opposed to adding the previous style pushd/popd to
> ipy_legacy.py if backwards compatibility is needed, but the current
> implementation is less surprising and the only special case is popping
> an empty stack.

As I mentioned elsewhere, let's instead make sure we provide
*nix-compatible behavior.      Having pushd/popd/dirs do one thing in
the shell and a different one in ipython is really not a good  idea.
People are used to the existing behavior for years and they continue
to have it in their shells, so incompatible behavior in ipython will
just cause confusion.

cheers,