[IPython-dev] Twisted 8...

Brian Granger ellisonbg.net at gmail.com
Tue Apr 1 00:21:32 EDT 2008

>  Just curious: what *benefits* do we obtain from using twisted 8.0?
>  It's nice that today, all of ipython1's depenedencies are satisfied
>  out of the box on current linux distros.  But even the
>  not-yet-released ubuntu has twisted 8, they are still on 2.5:
>
>  http://packages.ubuntu.com/hardy/python-twisted-core
>
>  I'm not fundamentally opposed to requiring 8.0 if we actually need it,
>  but otherwise I'd prefer to find a way (if possible, I haven't looked
>  at the code) to work with both 2.5 and 8.0. I hope the twisted devs
>  didn't make so many backwards incompatible changes as to make that
>  impossible...

Good question.  Here is my take on Twisted 8.0:

1. It is easy_installable so it will be _much_ easier for people to
get the deps for ipython1.

2. blockingCallFromThread (which we use all over the place) is in
Twisted 8,0.  Currently we include a copy of it in ipython1 :(

3.  twisted.web2.  This is the real kicker.  We include a copy of web2
in ipython1 (an svn copy as of last Jan.).  the problem is that we
can't update our web2 version as the latest web2 only works with
Twisted trunk or 8.0.  Because web2 is still changing often, I would
like to be able to follow more recent versions - which does require us
to use 8.0.

4.  8.0 had _lots_ of bug fixes.

There are other minor things, but these are the bigs ones that I think
are most relevant to us.

Brian