[IPython-dev] Twisted reactor + IPython0

Barry Wark barrywark at gmail.com
Wed Mar 19 19:51:19 EDT 2008

On Wed, Mar 19, 2008 at 2:39 PM, Ville M. Vainio <vivainio at gmail.com> wrote:
> This is related to the recent thread about reactors, GUI support etc.
>
>  Would it make sense to provide direct twisted reactor support for ipython0?
>
>  There is a recipe for this:
>
>  http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Cookbook/Python/Recipe/410670
>
>  If this works as expected, can't we just implement all the GUI support
>  widgets in terms of this baby, using the support bundled with twisted?
>
>  A couple of you have gathered extensive experience with Twisted, what
>  do you think?

I'm definitely not an IPython1 or Twisted expert (more of a newbie)
and I know next to nothing about the IPython0 codebase, so take my
comments with a grain of salt. My understanding is that this is how
GUI support can be added to IPython1. ipython1.kernel.engineservice
exposes an IEngine interface as a Twisted service. The IEngine
interface provides the functionality of (and the implementation
delegates to) the ipython core. Thus GUI interfaces can interact with
the ipython1 core via Twisted. This is the approach I've used in the
ipython1-cocoa branch to provide a Cocoa frontend for the ipython1
core (i.e. via ipython1.kernel.engineservice.IEngineInteractive).

Barry