[IPython-dev] 0.9 Windows installer still not working for me!?!?

Fernando Perez fperez.net at gmail.com
Thu Sep 4 00:58:47 EDT 2008

On Wed, Sep 3, 2008 at 9:52 PM, Brian Granger <ellisonbg.net at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I don't think it's supposed to create .exes at all.  What it does is
>> make Start Menu links to the appropriate "python ... ipython .. flags"
>> call.  So you should see in your start menu an "IPython" entry with
>> sub-entries for 'scipy', 'pylab', 'pysh', and the docs (as well as the
>> default main ipython entry).
>
> It does make the Start Menu links.  But, it only does this for a few
> things.  Namely it does do ipcontroller, ipengine, iptest, etc.  Thus,
> there is no way of calling these other programs.  Also, does this mean
> that you can't start ipython from the Win32 command line by typing
> "ipython"?
>
> I very much like how the egg creates .exe files for _all_ the scripts,
> so you can just type the command name at the command line.

Yes, that stuff is *very old*, from back when we only had the main
ipython terminal, with at most one or two profiles.  It hasn't really
been updated for the new codebase where we want proper terminal-based
script support even under windows, I'm afraid.

Sorry not to have a better solution to offer right now.  Perhaps for
win32 we should just recommend the egg?  When I wrote that installer,
setuptools didn't even exist, so it wasn't an option, but maybe now we
can go that route for win32, I don't know...

I certainly lack the knowledge for how to create all the .exe entry
points in windows myself...