[IPython-dev] [patch] timeit unit select breaks with >= 1000second duration

David Warde-Farley dwf at cs.toronto.edu
Sat Jul 4 17:48:23 EDT 2009

This is a minor concern since I don't know how many people use timeit
for things that take more than a few seconds but I noticed that if you
have a function that runs for say, 1000 seconds, the code in Magic.py
fails since 'order' gets a negative number. Thus you get something
like 1.0e12 nanoseconds being printed, which is kind of silly.

Attached is a patch that fixes it in the simplest way possible: if
best is >= 1000 then just use seconds, e.g.

In [16]: %timeit -n 1 -r 1 time.sleep(1000)
1 loops, best of 1: 1e+03 s per loop

Regards,

David