[IPython-dev] [matplotlib-devel] IPython proposal: getting rid of "ipython -pylab\-wthread\etc."

Brian Granger ellisonbg.net at gmail.com
Thu Jul 16 16:36:21 EDT 2009

After playing a bit more, I have a ctypes based prototype that can set
PyOS_InputHook in an appropriate way for wx 2.9 (trunk).  I think it is
possible to have a ctypes based version that would work for all the major
GUI toolkits that we could ship with IPython until the transition is over
(i.e., everyone is using a GUI toolkits recent enough).

BUT.  I need to begin to narrow the GUI toolkits and versions that we will
support.

The total number of possibilities (for testing, etc.) is approximately:

(number of OSs~3) x (number of GUI toolkits~qt4/wx/gtk) x (number of
supported versions of each GUI)

Because the first 2 terms are pretty fixed, I want to bring sanity to the
picture by keeping the 3rd term as small as possible.  So, here is a
question.

What versions of what GUI toolkits do we realistically need to support
moving forward (today and beyond)?  By this, I mean that:

"unsupported" = older versions of GUIs toolkits that will have to use older
versions of IPython.
 "supported" = versions of GUIS that will be able to use the PyOS_InputHook
approach in newer releases of IPython.

Cheers,

Brian