[IPython-dev] Gitwash: a git/github workflow document for review

Fernando Perez fperez.net at gmail.com
Mon Apr 26 01:51:31 EDT 2010

On Sun, Apr 25, 2010 at 10:10 PM, Gael Varoquaux
<gael.varoquaux at normalesup.org> wrote:
> What is your target audience?
>
> The document starts right away with editing a config file, which is way
> above the abilities of one of my target audience, but I understand that
> if you target developers, this might not be a problem.

Well, you *do* have to configure git right off the bat before you use
it.  So do you with bzr, by the way.  We gave both the config file and
the copy-paste at the command-line commands, do you think the
command-line version is friendlier?  Matthew had that first and I
thought the file one would be easier.

Remember that with bzr you have the same thing, as the 'bazaar in five
minutes' http://doc.bazaar.canonical.com/latest/en/mini-tutorial/ doc
says:

Before you start working, it is good to tell Bazaar who you are. That
way your work is properly identified in revision logs.

Using your name and email address, instead of John Doe’s, type:

$ bzr whoami "John Doe <john.doe at gmail.com>"

This is the exact same thing as with git, it's just that Matthew also
provided a few aliases.  Do you think it would be best to only provide
this, just like bzr?

git config --global user.email you at yourdomain.example.com
git config --global user.name "Your Name Comes Here"

That would be *identical* to bzr, which you say is OK for your users
who can't edit files.  Would this then be OK for them?