[IPython-dev] Gitwash: a git/github workflow document for review

Gael Varoquaux gael.varoquaux at normalesup.org
Mon Apr 26 02:58:23 EDT 2010

On Sun, Apr 25, 2010 at 10:51:31PM -0700, Fernando Perez wrote:
> Well, you *do* have to configure git right off the bat before you use
> it.  So do you with bzr, by the way.

Most people around me don't, with bzr. It may be a bad thing :)

> We gave both the config file and the copy-paste at the command-line
> commands, do you think the command-line version is friendlier?  Matthew
> had that first and I thought the file one would be easier.

It depends who you target audience is. A lot a people around me are going
to try and edit these files with word :), so maybe the command line is
better. But if you target developers, it's fine the way it is.

> Remember that with bzr you have the same thing, as the 'bazaar in five
> minutes' http://doc.bazaar.canonical.com/latest/en/mini-tutorial/ doc
> says:

That tutorial is pretty good, I find.

Once again, it depends who your target audience is. Some words in the
gitwash document may be confusing for non-developers: I have found that
people can be confused by the word 'source' (notice how the bzr tutorial
avoids the problem using 'file'). On the other hand, the bzr tutorial
uses words like 'upstream', which might not be understood either.

That said, I feel that anybody who is somewhat a developer should be able
to understand and use the gitwash document. Extending to non-developers
requires more lengthy phrasing, and more definition of terms
(repository), but I am not sure this is what you are aiming for.

Cheers,

Gaël