[IPython-dev] Coordinating the XREQ and SUB channels

Fernando Perez fperez.net at gmail.com
Thu Jul 15 17:34:42 EDT 2010

Hi Evan,

On Thu, Jul 15, 2010 at 2:24 PM, Evan Patterson <epatters at enthought.com> wrote:
> This may have been lost in the stream of messages, but you can see my
> current implementation of flush here:
>
> http://github.com/epatters/ipython/commit/2ecde29e8f2a5e7012236f61819b2f7833248553
>
> I'm not sure if my approach is better or worse than a using an epsilon for
> sleep.

Even a 0.01 can help avoid hogging the cpu unnecessarily and is
completely below human thresholds.  It's also probably a good idea to
have a safety fallback, so the loop can't stay there forever.  Or do
we trust the ioloop to be bulletproof in terms of calling the flush
callback appropriately?  That part isn't clear to me yet.

>> Evan, quick question: when I open your frontend_widget, I see 100% cpu
>> utilization all the time.  Do you see this on your end?
>
> I hadn't noticed this before (probably because I never pay attention to what
> my CPU utilization is), but I am seeing this on my end. Thanks for pointing
> it out; I'll look into it.

I noticed it because my fans started making loud noises after a few
seconds of having your shell open.  A loud fan is a very good cpu
alert :)