[IPython-dev] Full block handling finished for interactive frontends

Fernando Perez fperez.net at gmail.com
Sun Jul 25 05:03:21 EDT 2010

Hi folks,

[especially Gerardo] with this commit:

http://github.com/fperez/ipython/commit/df85a15e64ca20ac6cb9f32721bd59343397d276

we now have a fully working block splitter that handles a reasonable
amount of test cases.  I haven't yet added static support for ipython
special syntax (magics, !, etc), but for pure python syntax it's fully
functional.  A second pair of eyes on this code would be much
appreciated, as it's the core of our interactive input handling and
getting it right (at least to this point) took me a surprising amount
of effort.

I'll try to complete the special syntax tomorrow, but even now that
can be sent to the kernel just fine.

Gerardo, let me know if you have any  problems using this method.  As
things stand now, Evan and Omar should be OK using the line-based
workflow, and you should be able to get your blocks with this code.
Over the next few days we'll work on landing all of this, and I think
our architecture is starting to shape up very nicely.