[IPython-dev] New zeromq-based console now in trunk

Fernando Perez fperez.net at gmail.com
Fri Oct 1 15:07:38 EDT 2010

On Fri, Oct 1, 2010 at 11:19 AM, David Warde-Farley
<wardefar at iro.umontreal.ca> wrote:

> I shared this (incl the screenshot) around my new lab (very heavy users
> of Python already) and there were oohs and ahhs from all directions.
> Nice work!

Thanks for the kind words!

> I did try it out last night and was having trouble to the effect of the
> kernel dying almost immediately and a backtrace being printed to the console.
> This was in a virtualenv, is it known to play nice with virtualenv? (it was
> on a pretty standard Ubuntu 10.04 netbook.)

I'm pretty sure Brian uses virtualenv all the time, and there's no
reason why it shouldn't work with venv.

>> If you want to start playing with this code, you will need (in
>> addition to IPython trunk):
>>
>> ZeroMQ and its python bindings, Pyzqm, version 2.0.8:
>>
>>     * http://www.zeromq.org/local--files/area:download/zeromq-2.0.8.tar.gz
>>     * http://github.com/downloads/zeromq/pyzmq/pyzmq-2.0.8.tar.gz
>
> I was using zeromq and pyzmq from their respective trunks, and that
> was a bad idea. I'll try it out with stable and file a bug if I'm still
> having problems.

I think that could have been the problem.  Use the stable released
versions for the zmq tools, not the trunks, as those are changing a
bit too much.

Let us know if you still have problems with the .0.8 versions, and in
that case we'll dig deeper.

Regards,