[IPython-dev] Status of py3k ipython

Thomas Kluyver takowl at gmail.com
Fri Oct 1 19:46:26 EDT 2010

Hi,

An update on where I am with py3k ipython: The frontend/kernel system has
various external dependencies that don't seem to support python 3 (e.g.
twisted), along with some that do, but are a hassle to install (PyQT is only
packaged for Ubuntu for Python 2), so I've not attempted to get that
working. The core interpreter seems to be working OK, and is now passing
nearly all of its tests. I wonder if I could get some advice on the last
couple of tests:
In the core module, there are two tests to check that the magic %run command
doesn't change the id of __builtins__. These fail, but when I attempt to
repeat them in the interpreter, the id seems to stay the same however I try
to test it. Any bright ideas?
Also in core.tests.test_run, there's a "Test that object's __del__ methods
are called on exit." Some code is written to a temporary file and run, where
it apparently fails to find print (NameError). This is probably to do with
print becoming a function in Python 3, but I wondered if anyone had a flash
of inspiration?

Both the errors almost seem as if the test is somehow running them in the
wrong shell. Is that possible? I'm using a virtualenv, so it should be
isolated (although it's an unofficial py3k fork of virtualenv, so it could
be that at fault).

Thanks