[IPython-dev] Extensible pretty-printing

Robert Kern robert.kern at gmail.com
Wed Oct 27 11:37:51 EDT 2010

In the ticket discussion around my patch to restore the result_display hook,
Brian suggested that the real issue is what the extensibility API for this
functionality should be. I would like to propose the pretty extension as that
API. I propose that it should be integrated into the core of IPython as the
pretty-printer instead of pprint. pretty allows one to specify pretty-print
functions for individual types and have them used in nested contexts.

Incidentally, this would resolve this issue by allowing the user to specify a
pretty-printer for floats:

   http://github.com/ipython/ipython/issues/issue/190

--
Robert Kern