[IPython-dev] wxPython console

Emmanuel Bacry emmanuel.bacry at polytechnique.fr
Fri Nov 4 06:37:50 EDT 2011

Fernando Perez wrote:

> On Thu, Nov 3, 2011 at 5:30 PM, Emmanuel Bacry
> <emmanuel.bacry at polytechnique.fr> wrote:
>> I just tried that but the InternalIPKernel is not found ? I'm using
>> IPython
>> 0.11.
>> Where should it be ?
>
> Ah, sorry: it's not available on 0.11.  You'll need to use the git
> master branch to get that code.
>
>> By the way, before even asking some more questions (what you are saying
>> seems very interesting but I'm not sure I follow), I don't quite
>> understand
>> the terminology here : what is a kernel ? (compared to a shell in the
>> InteractiveShell example)
>
> A kernel is basically the shell object, minus the assumption of being
> inside a terminal, and plus the network support to communicate over
> zeromq.  Think of it as the shell, but on the network.
>
> Cheers,

Thank you. I will look into this possibility.
Right now I am implementing a skeleton for what suggested Thomas to see how
it could work.

About that I have 2 more questions :

1- Is there a module in InteractiveShell to do automatic () match, i.e.,
give me the '(' corresponding to a just typed in ')' ?
2- Is there a way to get interactive help while typing in the shell (à la
Spyder if you are used to it) ?

Thank you

Emmanuel