[IPython-dev] using the notebook for teaching?

Jonathan Rocher jrocher at enthought.com
Thu Dec 6 14:29:54 EST 2012

(Re-forwarding because previous emails from Jonathan March didn't go
through. Apologies if you received it multiple times)

This is a wonderful opportunity for scientific Python and the IPython
Notebook.

There have been some big changes this year to EPD Free and Academic. Sorry
for not making these more widely known.

The bottom line for this thread is that any EPD Free user can register a
free login and use it to dynamically update any EPD Free package, including
IPython (currently at 0.13.1).

More detail:

1. EPD's user account system has, for some months, provided Free accounts
(not just Free downloads). These accounts allow registered Free users to
update any EPD Free package to the latest repository version, by using
either the enpkg command-line utility or the GUI package manager (now in
beta).

2. Following discussions and polls in SciPy and numfocus lists about a
"base scientific package stack", EPD Free users may now install all
consensus packages, specifically including pandas and sympy, by using enpkg
or the beta GUI package manager.

3. This system now also provides free Academic subscriptions (not just
downloads as in the past), which allow updating any EPD package (not just
Free) to any version in the repository, by using enpkg or the beta GUI
package manager.

For EPD Free accounts: http://www.enthought.com/products/epd_free.php
For EPD Academic accounts: http://www.enthought.com/products/edudownload.php

hth,
Jonathan March

On Thu, Dec 6, 2012 at 11:26 AM, Thomas Kluyver <takowl at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 6 December 2012 16:27, Jason Grout <jason-sage at creativetrax.com> wrote:
>
>> Just as a point of reference, Sage has %html cells.  Anything in
>> <sage></sage> tags is evaluated and converted to latex and rendered with
>> mathjax.  The whole thing is shipped back to the browser and rendered as
>> html there.  So:
>>
>> %html
>

> Thanks, that's a useful reference. It would be quite easy to write a cell
> magic that did something similar in IPython. I envisage something a bit
> more integrated, so that when the output is shown, the template code is
> hidden. It could be used to create more report-like notebooks.
>
> Best wishes,
> Thomas

Jonathan Rocher, PhD
Scientific software developer