[IPython-dev] Cell magics and extensions

Fernando Perez fperez.net at gmail.com
Thu Jun 7 23:53:07 EDT 2012

On Thu, Jun 7, 2012 at 2:37 PM, Brian Granger <ellisonbg at gmail.com> wrote:

[...]

I agree with everything you said above, and thanks also to Thomas for
bumping this up in priority...

> * Where should users host standalone magics?  Should we create a
> separate repo?  Gists?  Let the user decide?

I was just thinking that if we specify that an extension is *only* a
setup.py and a foo.py file, and that its PyPI name is something like
ipython_ext_foo, then we could then just let people use PyPI for
hosting, and we could write an %install_ext magic that does the
installation, by default going into the user's own IPYTHONDIR (or
perhaps into the dir written to by --user, with a pseudo-package
ipython_ext?).

This is only half-baked, so there's quite likely a very good reason
why it's a terrible idea; please do shoot it down as needed.