[IPython-dev] Is IPython useful for your research/industry work? Feedback wanted for grant proposal.

Fernando Perez fperez.net at gmail.com
Fri Jun 22 22:50:08 EDT 2012

Hi folks,

sorry for the cross-post, but I expect all replies to this to happen off-list.

I'm in the process of writing an NSF grant that will partly include
IPython support, and along with Brian we will soon be doing more of
the same.  In the past we haven't had the best of luck with the NFS,
hopefully this time it will be better.  I think one mistake we've made
has been to have very little in the way of hard evidence of the value
(if any) that IPython provides to the scientific work of others and to
industry.

So I would greatly appreciate if you can contact me off-list (best at
Fernando.Perez at berkeley.edu) with any info that I could use in a
typical NSF grant application.  I'm not looking for marketing-type
testimonials nor letters of support (the NSF frowns on those), but
rather specific info, best if backed by journal citations, on how and
where IPython plays an important role in your research or industry
project (while the NSF is a science funding agency, it also has as
part of its mission the economic well-being of the US).

I'd also like to clarify that I'm not looking for quotes strictly of
personal use as an interactive shell, since I know in this community
most people do that.  What I'm after are things like:

- a research project that builds on IPython in some capacity
- important results obtained with the IPython parallel machinery that
were better/easier/whatever than a classical approach with other tools
- uses of the notebook in education
- anything else along these lines you can think of, that goes beyond
pure personal shell use.

Thanks! Again, in the interest of keeping list noise down, please
reply directly to me:  Fernando.Perez at berkeley.edu.