[IPython-dev] documenting new packages

Fernando Perez fperez.net at gmail.com
Mon May 7 01:23:31 EDT 2012

On Sat, May 5, 2012 at 1:22 AM, Paul Ivanov <pivanov314 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Weird, that *is* what git blame and git log show, but was this a typo or
> does Brian have a time machine we don't know about?
>
> dc983636 (Brian E. Granger 2009-09-27 22:57:44 -0700)
>
>    As of the 0.11 release of IPython, the top-level packages and modules have
>    been completely reorganized.  This section describes the purpose of the
>    top-level IPython subpackages.
>
> Given that 0.11 wasn't released until 2011...

That reorganization was done for 0.11 in 2009, so Brian's message
really meant "for what will become 0.11 when released".  For a while
we had 0.10 and 0.11.dev living in parallel, with all new work going
into the .11 dev branch.  But since it took so long for all that
massive amount of work to stabilize, we kept the 0.10 branch alive in
the meantime to give users a stable but bugfixed source of updates.

To answer Jason's question, unfortunately that document simply has
fallen out of maintenance.  I wish we had right now the manpower for a
significant documentation update sprint, but we just don't at the
moment (especially with some other burning concerns on our plate).