[IPython-dev] First experiences and usability suggestions for notebook and nbconvert

Thomas Kluyver takowl at gmail.com
Tue Jul 16 13:58:46 EDT 2013

On 16 July 2013 16:56, David P. Sanders <dpsanders at gmail.com> wrote:

> 1. Ipython command line invocation
> - Would it be possible to get rid of the hyphens in --pylab and --profile
> in the ipython invocation? I understand that this is to do with
> implementation, but it is neither easy to remember, nor to motivate to
> novices that they should type this!

It's not so much the implementation, as

- --foo is the normal way to pass command line arguments to many different
programs.
- You can also run a file with a command like 'ipython somescript', so
using the dashes means that we can have lots of options without clashing
with files people might want to run.

Best wishes,
Thomas