[IPython-dev] ipython bash interaction?

Mark Voorhies mark.voorhies at ucsf.edu
Wed Sep 25 21:40:12 EDT 2013

On 09/25/2013 06:11 PM, Fernando Perez wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 25, 2013 at 12:17 PM, Zoltán Vörös <zvoros at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Yeah, then that is the problem. I defined a menu item in the desktop
>> manager, so I just click on a button on my task bar.
>
> You'll see the same problem for anything else you start via GUI
> methods that needs things defined in your .bashrc.  That's why I
> always start emacs and lyx from a terminal and not via the GUI, b/c I
> have env. vars defined in my bashrc that I need.
>
> I think it's possible to declare those in another one of the bash
> startup files that does get read by the GUI systems, but I've never
> bothered to look which one it should be. If you spend the time to make
> it work that way, let us know!
>
> Cheers,

A related thread for getting the proper PYTHONSTARTUP when starting IDLE from a graphical session:
http://lists.debian.org/debian-python/2009/11/msg00071.html
I think an equivalent IPython hack would be to modify os.environ in the ipython launcher script.

This Xsession documentation looks quite good and is probably a better starting point:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/CustomXSession

--Mark