[IPython-dev] Results of last year's user survey

Aaron Meurer asmeurer at gmail.com
Mon Mar 10 21:39:34 EDT 2014

The guest access of HipChat is really what sucks to me. There is no
chat history, so accidentally reloading the page causes you to lose
all context.

Gitter does email you when a starred room has activity. I think they
also email you if you are @mentioned (not positive about that last
part, but it would be silly if they didn't). According to
https://gitter.im/apps phone apps are coming soon.

I've been using it since the public beta started in December and I've
been really impressed with how fast it has improved.

The only concern with gitter is that they are currently in beta, so
it's not clear what will remain free when they leave it. But seeing as
you guys are already paying for HipChat, it shouldn't be as big of a
concern for you.

Aaron Meurer