[IPython-dev] \citep and \citet for markdown latex citations

Aaron O'Leary aaron.oleary at gmail.com
Tue Mar 18 04:06:00 EDT 2014

> Seems the natural thing to do would be to be able to write "<cite
> data-citep="
>  and "<cite data-citet="  , with syntax otherwise the same as above.
> Ultimately one might want to have more of the natbib citation functionality
> (see e.g. http://merkel.zoneo.net/Latex/natbib.php). To start with though I
> think these two would go a long way to making notebook markdown article
> writing feasible for non-numbered citation formats.

Or you could have `<cite date-cite="granger2013" type="citet"...`.
Might be more flexible.

I feel that writing the explicit html tag is a bit cumbersome and that
we could do with a shorthand. We could use latex \citet, \citep
directly, or we could go with the pandoc @granger2013, [@granger2013].
The problem with shorthand is that it won't be rendered nicely in the
interactive notebook.

I've been thinking about this recently as I'm developing my thesis in
the notebook. I've also got some ideas about referencing figures. I'd
be happy to work on a PR with you John.

aaron