[IPython-dev] Conflict between IPython notebook javascript and three.js?

Jason Grout jason-sage at creativetrax.com
Mon Nov 3 07:50:42 EST 2014

On 11/2/14, 20:02, David Powell wrote:
> Great, this looks like it will be the preferred solution to my problem
> in the long term. I tried running the examples, but I ran into the
> following javascript exception, and didn't get any output:
>
> Uncaught TypeError: Cannot read property 'obj' of undefined
> pythreejs.js?_=1414974265086:329

It might be an installation issue, which isn't nearly as easy as it
should be yet.  Right now, (a) you need the ipython branch of the
pythree.js repo, not the master branch, (b) you need to make sure
three.js and pythree.js is installed and aliased in the right places (as
in the instructions at the top of pythreejs.js), (c) you can't be using
the latest IPython master, but it also may not work on the most recent
released IPython (I've been developing just behind the latest master).

It works fine for me on IPython commit
fa61a81f879293895127f40004fe6cdbd60f1d0d, pythree.js commit
a432be4628e4a0f92ab3651f9aa60ca4329c50ca, and three.js r69.

I'll be working more on the installation difficulties in coming weeks,
and I'm also working on some IPython commits to make it work in the
latest IPython master.

Thanks,

Jason