[IPython-dev] thoughts on the notebook, alternative front-ends and remote editing

Thomas Kluyver takowl at gmail.com
Wed Mar 4 12:48:15 EST 2015

On 4 March 2015 at 05:57, Damien Drix <damien.drix at gmail.com> wrote:

> - Move the task of supervising cell execution and integrating the outputs
> into the notebook model from the client to the server, so that notebooks
> can keep running when the client disconnects.
>
> - Let the client app refresh its view of the notebook when it reconnects
> to the server, showing the new outputs and which cells are still running.

These two points are a big part of what Matthias will be working on. Part
of the motivation is also collaborative editing, which requires that the
server maintain a notebook model to synchronise the clients. Once we have
that, then the kernel can continue updating the notebook without any client
having it open.

Thomas