[IronPython] Ironpython 0.7 released!

Keith J. Farmer kfarmer at thuban.org
Tue Mar 29 03:41:59 CEST 2005

The lawyers that have briefed my dev groups over the years are waiting for such proof -- generally in the form of hard legal precedent.  That involves lawsuits, money, angst, and probably some lost jobs.

Consider MS's choice in it Team System designers, as well as XAML.  Many people belly-ached over not having their favorite UML/XUL implementations used.  MS responded:  they looked, evaluated, and found them lacking.  They therefore created a different representation.

Always grandfathering in someone's favorite is a sure way to restrict advancement of the art.  The mere fact that there are such a variety of ODI-approved licenses shows that many people have not felt confortable with any one of them.  MS -- or any corporation -- is no different in that regard, and arguably have much more to lose than political control of any given project.

Consider your signature line.  I think it's somewhat apt in this case.