[IronPython] Naming and resolution of generic types (complete!)

Brian Lloyd brian.d.lloyd at gmail.com
Sat Apr 1 18:06:06 CEST 2006

Well, I'd argue that its not about trying to be all things to all
programmers - its about finding the most reasonable way to handle one
of the (relatively few) ways that the meta-models of the CLR and
Python don't match up well.

In a way, this is not unlike the situation with methods. The fact that
Python doesn't have a concept of overloaded methods causes potential
ambiguity on the Python side, but luckily there is a relatively
elegant solution in that most of the time the runtime can do the Right
Thing on its own, and you can hint it with the [] syntax if you need
to.

I'd like to find a similarly nice solution to this problem, but there
are more constraints here in that types are routinely named in import
statements. That makes a solution much harder in that you only have a
Python name to work with and not many sneaky tricks at your disposal
:^/

The more I think about it, I think the best solution might have to be
that given the following statement:

from System.Bunnies import Bunny

then the name 'Bunny' will be bound to something that is one of:

  - a (reflected) non-generic type (if there exists a non-generic type
of that name and no
    generic type definitions with the same base name). This type can
be instantiated with
    the standard () syntax.

  - a (reflected) generic type definition (if there exists a generic
type definition with the
    given base name, and no non-generic type with that name). This generic type
    definition can be bound into a closed generic type using the []
syntax. Trying to
    instantiate a generic type def using () raises a TypeError.

  - an object that represents more than one reflected type (if there
exists both a
    generic and a non-generic type with the same base name, or more than one
    generic type with the same base name). Calling this object with ()
would create
    an instance if there exists a non-generic type, else raise a
TypeError. Using the
    [] syntax would produce a closed type. There could be some sort of
syntax you
    could use to obtain a reference to a specific (but unbound and
uninstantiated)
    encapsulated type.

This seems like it retains the most simplicity for common uses, and
moves most of the
ambiguity into less common cases (mostly having to do with a
'reflection context', from
either the CLR or Python perspective). For example, what do you see if
you do dir() on
this pseudo-type? What would you pass to a System.Reflection method
that expected
a Type? Those still need to be answered, but I'd argue that for the
most part normal
users of the type from Python won't have to worry about it if we do the above.

explicit-is-better-than-implicit-except-when-its-not'ly,

  -Brian