[IronPython] Security Problem in Visual Studio

J. Merrill jvm_cop at spamcop.net
Thu Oct 12 17:33:17 CEST 2006

If you're running the resulting code from a network share, that can be an issue -- it's not a "trusted" source for code, and IP (sometimes) does its work by generating new methods on the fly.  That ought not be allowed to anything other than totally trusted code.

If you're running the code from a local drive, it must be something else.  (The dev team has said "You shouldn't need the SDK or full privileges to run IronPython."  (Dino Viehland, 2006-05-23)

At 08:46 AM 10/12/2006, Niels Reijers wrote
>Hello,
>
>I apologise if this has been asked and answered before. I'm new to IronPython, .Net and VisualStudio (apart from some VB6 work in a distant past), but I have a couple of months of Python experience, and am really pleased with the language so far.
>I'm exploring IronPython for a project at work. Working within .Net and having VisualS tudio integration will be very important to us since it will make it far easier to have management consider Python as an option. I downloaded the SDK and got the VS integration working following Aaron Marten's blog post. No problems so far.
>
>Unfortunately, I can only run my code when running VS as Administrator. When I try to run it under my own account, I get an unhandled SecurityException: "Request for the permission of type 'System.Security.Permissions.SecurityPermission , mscorlib, Version=<http://2.0.0.0>2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089' failed."
>So I'm assuming I need to get some extra permissions for my user account, but I'm not sure which.
>Any help would be much appreciated.
>
>Also many thanks to the IronPython team! This is really cool stuff you're building. :-)
>
>Sincerely,
> Niels Reijers?

J. Merrill / Analytical Software Corp