[IronPython] Differences in resource usage between stand alone and ClickOnce > Same code base

M. David Peterson xmlhacker at gmail.com
Fri Mar 16 00:49:40 CET 2007

In the ongoing development of the Xameleon (merge between Amplee/AtomicXML)
application Sylvain and I have been running into various hurdles, none of
which have been insurmountable, but the most recent of which I am having
trouble attempting to understand the problem.

Background: A few days back we discovered that attempting to startup and run
Amplee via CherryPy we were reaching upwards of 150megs just to start up the
server.  After a bit of digging we discovered that saving the assemblies
(-X:SaveAssemblies) during the first run, and then restarting the app
dropped the resource usage meter from 150 to below 50 megs, something that
was definitely within reason.

That said, assuming that the same resources would be consumed for both a
stand alone implementation, as well as a ClickOnce implementation (both
ClickOnce and standalone were both consuming ~150megs before saving the
assemblies), I was surprised to discover recently that there is ~45meg
increase in the ClickOnce implementation over the standalone.

You can access the standalone files @
http://extf.googlecode.com/files/Xameleon.WebApp.0.1.15.zip and the
ClickOnce app @ http://xameleon.org/Personal.Web.Platform/ClickOnce/

These both come from the exact same code base/project @
http://extf.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/Xameleon.WebApp/ and I've verified that
the same compiled .exe modules exist in both implementations, so as far as I
can tell, this isn't a situation where I simply forgot to include some of
the compiled Python modules in the ClickOnce implementation, accounting for
the difference in resource usage as a result.

Any ideas as to what might be the issue, and how to solve it?

Thanks in advance!

--
/M:D

M. David Peterson