[IronPython] Immutable value types, again

drew moore drew at astro.pas.rochester.edu
Sat May 12 17:01:20 CEST 2007

No comments on mutable value types?
I hope my post wasn't too trollish. I expected *somebody* to respond.
I figured if I was struggling with it, other people had to be as well,
so I felt obligated to speak up.

Upside:

* Nobody else seems to be having issues with the immutable value types
decision. Perhaps most interfaces follow "the guidelines" and most users
don't run across this one.

* Nobody clued me in on something I could have done short of writing
some C# code. I expected some kind soul to say something like "you fool,
you just need to cast it to a ref type and then you can mutate it all
you want. When you need the val type, just cast it back. Didn't you read
the tutorial??" I don't do much IronPython or .NET stuff so I'm a bit of
a noob there. I did read the tutorials, but I might have missed something.

Just curious: does IronRuby have a similar situation? Did they make the
same decision? (not that I'm thinking of switching to Ruby. Ruby's a
great language I hear, but I'm too much of a Python fanatic to switch. ;-)

cheers

Drew