[IronPython] Python Standard Library in IronPython

Dan Eloff dan.eloff at gmail.com
Fri Oct 31 22:06:20 CET 2008

On Fri, Oct 31, 2008 at 3:05 PM, Kenneth Miller <xkenneth at gmail.com> wrote:
> Dan,
>     Thanks for the encouragement, it's much appreciated. If you don't mind
> discussing off the list, I'd love to ask you some questions about
> silverlight and see what you're doing with it.
> Regards,
> Ken

Nothing I'm working on is top secret. Since January I've been working
full time on a massively multiplayer turn-based strategy game.
Initially I was using html/ajax for the client and CPython/django for
the backend. In May I discovered the silverlight 2 beta, grabbed an
early IronPython 2 alpha, and started porting the client. It was a
gamble that set me back, but it's paying off now. Having Python on
server and client means I can share code, and I can very efficiently
transfer python data structures in binary format between server and
client over HTTP. This makes new things possible. For example, at
startup I send 100K of binary data to the client, that's the
equivalent of almost 2mb of JSON.

The real product is not the game itself, but the game engine as a
platform for creating other games. I already have a group of fans very
serious about building a Star Wars game on the engine. If they follow
through on their plans it could be more visually impressive than my
game.

If you have any questions, just ask.

-Dan