[IronPython] pywin32 on Iron Python?

Jeff Hardy jdhardy at gmail.com
Wed Apr 29 01:32:14 CEST 2009

Hi Dave,

On Tue, Apr 28, 2009 at 10:37 AM, Dave Fugate <dfugate at microsoft.com> wrote:
> That said, there is something extremely useful the community can do for IronPython that our team simply cannot:  get 3rd party Python applications such as Django, pywin32, NumPy, etc running under IronPython.  This could mean adapting something like adodbapi.py to utilize IronPython APIs similar to what Vernon Cole did, or re-implementing NumPy's C-based modules in C#.  While it's quite difficult (impossible?) for anyone on our team to submit changes supporting IronPython back to other OSS projects, the rest of the IronPython Community happily doesn't have this limitation.

The problem with this approach is that I don't really want to clutter
up e.g. Django with workarounds for IP bugs that are actually
incompatibilities with CPython - they should and will get fixed in IP
at some point. If it's a legitimate platform difference, or an invalid
assumption by Django, then it can be fixed there - but I've found very
few of those relative to bugs in IP itself.

Also, would it possible for you guys to revisit your commit messages?
I would at least like to see a note in the CP commit messages when a
particular CP issue has been fixed.

> If anyone wants to contribute in this manner, please just give us a heads up so we can obtain permission to add tests for the 3rd party app(s) to our checkin system.  Also, if there's enough interest in this I can setup a wiki page on CodePlex to keep track of whose working on what...

Now this is interesting! Last time I checked, Django's test suite was
nowhere near passing - would the full test suite have to pass before
you'd include it?

There's some notes at
http://www.ironpython.info/index.php/Application_Compatibility (and
associated pages) that I haven't kept up to date.

I really appreciate the work you guys are doing here. It can't be easy
swimming against the tide all the time!

- Jeff