[IronPython] Problem with Creating Executable using SharpDevelop

Michael Foord fuzzyman at voidspace.org.uk
Mon Jul 13 13:00:10 CEST 2009

Jeff Hardy wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 10, 2009 at 12:50 PM, Michael
> Foord<fuzzyman at voidspace.org.uk> wrote:
>
>> Are there issues around assembly versions and the GAC? I'm thinking
>> particularly of where newer versions of IronPython are released as drop-in
>> replacements so the version numbers are not updated. If a previous version
>> is in the GAC isn't there a likelihood that an application that ships with a
>> newer version will still load the GAC'd older version... ?
>>
>> My *impression* was that adding stuff to the GAC was a recipe for DLL hell
>> and therefore it was better left to individual users rather than being
>> automatic on installation. This opinion may be ill-informed however...
>>

> You just have to be *really* careful with you assembly versions, and
> what kinds of changes cause a rev of version numbers. However, I don't
> think it should be the default, but it would be nice to have the
> option during installation. I think gacutil is only included in the
> SDK anyway.

Right. I think the issue of version numbering is tricky, which is why
I'm nervous about IronPython being GAC'd.

As an example, the IronPython 2.0.1 and 2.0 assemblies have the same
version numbers - and I understand why and don't disagree with this
decision - but the net result is that Resolver One required 2.0.1 and
would probably fail if the user has 2.0 in the GAC.

I certainly wouldn't object to it being an installer option, but it
would still make me nervous... :-)

Having minor IronPython versions have new assembly versions would
probably help - but with the disadvantage that they are no longer
drop-in replacements.

Michael

http://www.ironpythoninaction.com/
http://www.voidspace.org.uk/blog