[IronPython] A good dotNET gui designer, plus IronPython VS2008 integration?

Brian Curtin brian.curtin at gmail.com
Tue Feb 2 22:08:25 CET 2010

On Tue, Feb 2, 2010 at 15:00, Lukáš Duběda <loocas at duber.cz> wrote:

> Hi there everybody,
>
> I'd really appretiate if anyone could share their experience
> with any good dotNET GUI designer. I'd love to have such
> functionality I can get out of QtDesigner, where I visually
> design my forms and buttons and what not and then just save
> that GUI into a file or generate a usable Python code
> out of it for my scripts.
>
> And another question, is there any good integration of IronPython
> into Visual Studio 2008? Or newer? I'm not a VS user, but since
> we can get the VS Express for free, this'd be a valuable tool
> for my IronPython programming.
>
> Thanks a lot in advnace, cheers,
>
> I don't have a lot of experience with it, but Sharp Develop (
http://www.icsharpcode.net/OpenSource/SD/) supports IronPython, and may be
worth a look. Others have reported success.

If you do look into Visual Studio, you can write GUI code in C# using the
Visual Studio designer, then subclass it from Python code.

You can even, with a little modification, design GUIs in C# in Visual Studio
and copy/paste the C# code into a Python file and run with it. You'll need
to convert things like true/false to True/False, null to None, etc...but
with a little effort it works :)